After you select all of your graduate programs in the Add Programs section of application, you can determine whether they require official transcripts to be sent to PharmGrad by reviewing the Program Requirements table at the bottom of the Colleges Attended section.

If your program requires you to submit official transcripts, follow the steps below. If your program requires you to submit unofficial transcripts or no transcripts, see Colleges Attended for more information.

  • If required by the graduate program, transcripts must be sent to PharmGrad from all US and English-speaking Canadian institutions you listed in the Colleges Attended section of your application. We cannot process your application without receiving all of your transcripts.
  • Do not send foreign transcripts (non-US/non-English-Canadian). This includes transcripts from Caribbean and French-Canadian schools. We cannot accept these documents and they will be destroyed. 
  • Transcripts must be original. Transcripts that are photocopied, faxed, on file at a career center or Interfolio, etc. are not accepted.
  • Transcripts must be addressed to PharmGrad. Transcripts addressed to you, a program, school, or any address other than PharmGrad are not accepted.
  • Transcripts must be mailed by your registrar. For security purposes, we cannot accept transcripts mailed by you or anyone other than the registrar. If anything on your transcript indicates that it was issued to the student, picked up by you, or mailed to any address other than PharmGrad, your transcript will be rejected and you will need to send a new one. 
  • In rare occurrences where a school's computer system can only include the applicant's name in the transcript's Issue to field, instruct the registrar to mail the transcript to PharmGrad and include a letter stating the registrar's policy for addressing transcripts. Transcripts will not be accepted without this letter. Additionally, the transcript cannot have an "Issued to Student" or "Student Copy" stamp and cannot be picked up by the applicant. 

Electronic Transcripts (Preferred)

PharmGrad only accepts official electronic transcripts through Parchment and National Student Clearinghouse. To determine if your registrar participates in either service, please check the Parchment and National Student Clearinghouse directories. If not listed in either directory, arrange for the registrar to mail an official paper transcript directly to PharmGrad. Electronic transcripts will not expedite the processing of your file at PharmGrad.

  • Click here to see if your school offers the Parchment service.
  • Click here to access the National Student Clearinghouse website. To see if your school offers the National Clearinghouse service, click Order-Track-Verify > Order or Track a Transcript from the menu bar.
  • If school is listed, follow the service’s instructions to request an e-transcript.
  • If your transcript is not posted after 7-10 business days, contact the transcript service directly to confirm the order was completed and then contact PharmGrad. 

Paper Transcripts

Follow the instructions to print a PharmGrad Transcript Matching Form for every college and university you have attended in the U.S. and Canada (if in English). Official transcripts mailed without the form enclosed may take longer to process. The registrar may require additional forms or fees.

  1. Complete the Colleges Attended section before requesting transcripts.
  2. Once you have entered a college attended, click the Download Transcript Request Form button. Each PDF form is unique to you and that particular college or university. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print the file.
  3. Print and submit the completed form to the registrar or records office at your institution.
  4. Advise the registrar office to enclose the PharmGrad Transcript Request Form with your official sealed transcript and mail it directly to:
    PharmGrad Transcript Processing Center
    P.O. Box 9214
    Watertown, MA 02471
  5. If the registrar’s office cannot use this form, advise it to add "PharmGrad" and your PharmGrad ID# on the transcript before mailing it to us.

Transcript Status

View the status of your transcripts at any time after submission via the “Check Status” tab of the application home page. PharmGrad will also send email notifications every time a transcript is posted to your application. It is your responsibility to monitor the status of your transcripts at PharmGrad throughout the application process. PharmGrad will not notify you regarding missing transcripts, nor is PharmGrad responsible for materials lost in the mail or for delays caused by institutional registrars’ offices. If it has been longer than 10 business days and your transcript has not been posted, arrange for it to be resubmitted. Express or certified mail does not guarantee expedient processing or receipt by PharmGrad.

!You may wish to follow-up with the registrar to confirm when your transcripts were sent. Processing times vary by registrar and may take longer towards the end of a semester. Some schools may not send your transcript until the semester is over.

Delayed Transcript Processing

Transcript processing may be delayed for the following reasons:

  • You have not created a PharmGrad application account for the current cycle.
  • The institution is not entered in the Colleges Attended section. 
  • The PharmGrad Transcript Request Form is not included with the transcript.
  • A transcript is not addressed specifically to "PharmGrad." 
  • The name on your application does not match the name on the transcript.

Rejected Transcripts

PharmGrad will reject a transcript for the following reasons:

  • A transcript is unofficial or is addressed to someone other than PharmGrad.
  • A transcript is missing pages or was severely damaged in the mail.
  • A document received by PharmGrad is not a transcript.
  • The transcript is for someone else with the same or similar name. Be sure to provide your registrar with as much information as possible so it can properly identify your records.

International and Study Abroad

French Canadian Institutions

If you attended a Canadian institution that does not issue transcripts in English, do not send the transcript to PharmGrad. Instead, follow the foreign transcript instructions for each program. Most programs will require a foreign transcript evaluation from WES or ECE. PharmGrad will not hold an application for this documentation, if it is missing.

International (Foreign) Institutions

Enter all international (non-United States/foreign) institutions you have attended on your PharmGrad application. If required by the program, order a foreign transcript evaluation from World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) through the PharmGrad application. See more information about foreign evaluation vendors in the PharmGrad Help Center.

  • Do not send original international transcripts to PharmGrad. 
  • Do not enter international courses completed outside of the United States or Canada.

Study Abroad

If you participated in a study-abroad program under the auspices of a U.S. institution, and the course work appears on the U.S. transcript as regular itemized credit, follow the steps below.

  • Send the U.S. transcript with study-abroad credits to PharmGrad. 
  • Enter any study-abroad courses that are intended to fulfill a program’s course prerequisite and appear on a U.S. transcript with separate grades and credits in the Transcript Entry section. 
  • Do not list the international (foreign) institution in the Colleges Attended section.
  • If the U.S. transcript does not display the grades or credits for study-abroad courses, follow the policies for international transcripts and coursework. 

Overseas U.S. Institutions

PharmGrad recognizes overseas United States institutions that are accredited through an agency approved by the U.S. Department of Education and uses English as the primary language of instruction and documentation. Submit transcripts and coursework for overseas U.S. institutions and U.S. institutions with a campus overseas (e.g., the University of Maryland at Munich).

Updated Transcripts

In most cases you will not need to send updated transcripts; however, some programs may ask you to send them to PharmGrad or directly to the program. Contact your program directly for their requirements. Updated coursework will not be verified. See the PharmGrad Applicant Help Center for more information. 

No Transcript Available

PharmGrad does not waive transcript requirements due to unpaid fees from the applicant to a college or university. Applicants who are unable to obtain an official transcript from an institution due to extenuating circumstances, such as a closed institution, must submit a signed letter of explanation on official letterhead from the appropriate institution or state department of education. PharmGrad will evaluate transcript waiver requests on a case-by-case basis.

Transcript Investigations

PharmGrad will investigate and report applicants suspected of submitting false or fraudulent information. If any misrepresentation in data is suspected by or reported to PharmGrad, the applicant will be notified, and relevant information will be requested. If a misrepresentation in data is confirmed, PharmGrad will notify the programs to which the applicant has applied. In addition, on a case-by-case basis, PharmGrad reserves the right to notify all programs participating in the service, as well as other education associations.